Mens Health Week - 15th to 21st June 2020
Are you getting your ‘Five-A-Day’?
Mental health difficulties affect society as a whole, and not just a small, isolated group. Indeed, COVID-19 has made sure that almost everyone on the island of Ireland has had to face very challenging and stressful times in the past few months. There’s definitely a need to start the process of #RestoringTheBalance
But good mental health is more than simply the absence of problems. It is just as important as good physical health, and maintaining mental fitness should be a priority for everyone.
There are five simple steps to help maintain and improve your wellbeing. Try to build these into your daily life and think of them as your ‘five-a-day’ for wellbeing ...
1. CONNECT with the people around you - family, friends, colleagues and neighbours - in any way that is deemed to be safe, and spend time developing relationships.
2. BE ACTIVE and find a physical activity that you enjoy. Go for a walk, run, cycle, do some gardening, wash the car, take the dog out … Exercise makes you feel good.
3. TAKE NOTICE of the world around you, be observant, look for something beautiful or remark on something unusual. Savour and enjoy the moment, be aware of your surroundings and appreciate the place you’re in.
4. KEEP LEARNING and don’t be afraid to try something new. Rediscover an old hobby or sign-up for an online course. Take on a different role, fix a bike, learn to play an instrument, develop a skill that you’ve always wanted to have ... Set yourself a challenge and have some fun.
5. GIVE to others. Do something nice for a friend or stranger, thank someone, smile or volunteer your time. Find ways to work together with others on things rather than on your own - even if that collaboration has to be on the Internet.
During #MensHealthWeek 2020 take the first small steps towards improving your mental fitness.
For practical help, support, tips and advice, visit: www.yourmentalhealth.ie [RoI] or www.mindingyourhead.info [NI]