Lots of children (and adults!) will decide to give up sweets for Lent. Giving up something can be difficult, but once we plan for the change we want to make, it can be done!
Plans are more likely to succeed when we make SMART Plans. A SMART Plan is:
A SMART Plan for giving up sweets might look like the following:
- Specific I am giving up chocolate and ice-cream
- Measurable I will not eat chocolate or ice-cream 7 days a week
- Achievable I will eat healthier snacks in place of chocolate and ice-cream
- Realistic I will have some ice-cream on my birthday, which falls during Lent
- Time-bound This plan is for the 6 weeks of Lent
Remember: By giving something up, we leave a gap that has to be filled by something else. Take this chance to come up with healthy alternatives to chocolate and ice-cream. We have some ideas here to get you started on filling the gaps!