New Home Visit Service being rolled out in Mullingar in April/May of 2014
The Home Visit Service - is an action included within the Westmeath Age Friendly Strategy of Westmeath County Council. In Westmeath this is delivered by Westmeath Community Development (WCD) as part of the Care & Repair Service.
The Home Visit Service was started in Athlone in 2013, and following reviews of this service it is planned to extend the project to Mullingar this year.
The service will be run in conjunction with various agencies working with older people in Mullingar.
Why is this needed? We are all aware of the isolation that some older people suffer from, and that as people get older their network of friends and activities
may diminish and that the opportunities to meet with other people reduces, and this can lead to loneliness and isolation.
What is it? Under this service an older person can avail of a regular weekly home visit from our volunteers. Each person will be assigned 2/3 volunteers who
will call weekly and spend time with the older person.
- The service is free of charge
- A Home Visit will be approximately one hour per week
- Two/three volunteers will be assigned for each home visit
- This service will not carry out any medical or household tasks
- All volunteers will be Garda Vetted and have ID cards
- All volunteers will be covered under the Care & Repair public liability insurance